Monday 3 September 2012

Pennine Adventure (6)
Hare & Hounds (14)


Two Hobbies Collide!

On Friday I took the day off work and I went for a walk - the next leg of the Pennine Way, this time from Haworth to Thornton-in-Craven. And somewhere in the middle of the walk (Lothersdale, to be exact) the Pennine Way goes right past a Hare & Hounds.

How great is that?!

Here it is (pic as usual from Google Streetview):


I've drawn in a little white arrow pointing at a signpost for the Pennine Way, so you can see just how close it is.

Lothersdale is a lovely place. Here's another photo:


(Photo by Dave Dunford.)

In case you are wondering - yes, I did see some rather mad sheep. Lothersdale has a very big chimney, and a very big waterwheel. I didn't see the latter, I was too busy checking out the Hare & Hounds.

I've walked to North Yorkshire now, the landscape has changed and it is altogether a gentler world: rolling green hills, flowery fields and pretty villages nestling in the Dales. And I had it all to myself!

Here's the profile - obviously it's not to scale, so what looks quite pointy isn't really.


(From Where's the Path?.)

This is probably as far as I am going to get this year. I've walked a long way from home, and from here on it is going to be extremely difficult to get to the start of a walk early enough to get to the end of it in time to catch the train or bus home again. This isn't, of course, in the spirit of the Pennine Way. One is meant to walk it all over the course of a couple of weeks, staying in youth hostels or camping at night. But I am not some double-hard bastard with a point to prove - I like to go home at night to scented shower gels, fluffy towels, clean clothes and chilled wine.

1 comment:

  1. What you could really do with is a nice chain of Hare & Hounds, along the whole route, which offer good accommodation, including scented shower gels, fluffy towels, a good dinner and breakfast and a complementary bottle of good wine. Plus of course, someone to take your suitcase to the next venue.

    What were the mad sheep doing?

    ReplyDelete